Monday, December 31, 2012

Amigurumi Bear with Heart

Well I've been crocheting since I was about 6 years old.  In Belgium we had to learn to knit and crochet starting at a young age.  Some kids continue with it and others give up but pick it up again later in life.  I've never stopped!  The more I did it the more I wanted to learn every technique involving knitting and crocheting.  I actually crocheted my wedding dress.  I have to dig up a photo of it so I can share it here on my blog sometime.  For those of you who have never ventured past making clothes and/or accessories you should try Amigurumi, in other words crocheted little animals.  The first one I made got me hooked.  Now I'm a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to arts and crafts so when I made this little bear it really was suppose to be a cat!!  I know it doesn't look like a cat at all so as I continued with the pattern (which I hate doing as you might know) I decided to change it up and turn it into a bear.  I then proceeded to change the eyes on this three times!  I did what the pattern called for which was a bigger pair of round black beads but that just looked ridiculous for some reason.  My daughter said to add some fangs and it would have been a vampire thing ... because at that point it still didn't look like the cute little kitten in the book.  I finally decided to just do my own thing and make up some different ears.  At one point it could have turned into a lamb but it still didn't look right.  I removed the eyes, removed the pink nose and made it a black nose, took some buttons that were a lot smaller to the beads they suggested and with the right kind of ears she ended up looking like a little bear!  I almost gave up but sometimes you just have to do your own thing to make it work.  I've had projects like that laying around for months because I got frustrated with it, I then pick it back up and voila ... something new evolves out of whatever it was suppose to be.  

 
If you have never tried Amigurumi you might want to check out this link which is a great tutorial for beginner Amigurumi, so check it out!


I purchased some Amigurumi books here in the US as well as in Belgium.  The one shown here below is one I also have purchased here in the US and will be using for my next project.



No comments:

Post a Comment