Momigami is a thing!

I’m always up to learn something new … so when I saw an article about Momigami I had to learn more about it.  

What is Momigami?

It is using paper and turning it into what feels like fabric.  You knead the paper and if you do it the traditional Japanese way you use Konnyaku startch to strengthen the fabric-like paper.  Some people think it acquires the appearance of leather but to me it just feels like a very soft fabric.  

How I did it

I watched many videos on YouTube and looked at many Instagram photos and in the end all I did was tearing pages from magazines and ads that you get in the mail and just started crumbling them up and kneading them.  I would unfold and start over folding and kneading the paper in different directions.  Sometimes I put some baby oil on my hands, just enough to moisten them which seem to make the paper a bit softer.  Other times I used different hand lotions and got the same results.

I now have a stack of momigami pieces that I didn’t know what to do with so I ended up making beads out of them by cutting triangles, adding glue or modge podge as I rolled the momigami pieces onto a wire.  I let them dry and then either added more glue or modge podge and also used a clear nail polish on one of the sets I made.

Here are some photos of what the end results are.


 




























Comments

Popular Posts